Tag: Sale of shares

Greece vs "GSS Ltd.", December 2021, Tax Court, Case No 4450/2021

Greece vs “GSS Ltd.”, December 2021, Tax Court, Case No 4450/2021

An assessment was issued for FY 2017, whereby additional income tax was imposed on “GSS Ltd” in the amount of 843.344,38 €, plus a fine of 421.672,19 €, i.e. a total amount of 1.265.016,57 €. Various adjustments had been made and among them interest rates on intra group loans, royalty payments, management fees, and losses related to disposal of shares. Not satisfied with the assessment, an appeal was filed by “GSS Ltd.” Judgement of the Tax Court The court dismissed the appeal of “GSS Ltd.” and upheld the assessment of the tax authorities Excerpts “Because only a few days after the entry of the holdings in its books, it sold them at a price below the nominal value of the companies’ shares, which lacks commercial substance and is not consistent with normal business behaviour. Since it is hereby held that, by means of the specific transactions, the applicant indirectly wrote off its unsecured claims without having previously taken appropriate steps ... Read more
Italy vs Felofin S.p.A. , November 2021, High Court, Case No 36093/2021

Italy vs Felofin S.p.A. , November 2021, High Court, Case No 36093/2021

In 2007, the majority of the shares in the company Villa d’Este S.p.A. (53% of the capital) was held by a Luxembourg company Regina S.A. of which Felofin S.p.A. was a shareholder. Three “families” each held 29.41% of Regina S.A, for a total of 88.23% (while the remaining 11.77% was held by three other minority shareholders), and they also held direct stakes in the capital of Villa d’Este S.p.A. (Felofin S.p.A., in particular, held 5.09% of the shares in Villa d’Este S.p.A.). In 2007, Felofin S.p.A. sold its 5.09% stake in Villa D’Este S.p.A. to Finanziaria Lago S.p.A. for a total of 303,369 shares and a consideration of Euro 8,565,000.00, i.e. at the price of € 28.23 per share. On the same date, Regina S.A. sold the majority shareholding (53%) in Villa d’Este S.p.A. to Finanziaria Lago S.p.A (holding company of the Fontana family, which in the meantime had left the shareholding structure of Regina S.A.). The sale of the ... Read more
Bulgaria vs KEY END ES ENERGY, April 2020, Supreme Administrative Court, Case No 4972

Bulgaria vs KEY END ES ENERGY, April 2020, Supreme Administrative Court, Case No 4972

Key End Es Energy concluded a share purchase and sale agreement of 20.12.2012 with a related party LUKERG BULGARIA GmbH, under which KEY END EU ENERGY transferred to its parent company LUKERG BULGARIA GmbH the ownership of the shares in eight subsidiaries. The subsidiaries owned a total of 15 wind turbines for the production of electricity and operated them on the Bulgarian energy market. According to the Purchase and Sale Agreement the price of the shares were BGN 20 935 937,75. Following an audit of the transaction the tax authorities issued an assessment of additional taxable income for FY 2012 related to the sale of shares. According to the authorities the arm´s length value of the shares were BGN 38 609 215,00. This value was determined based on a CUP/CUT method. As support/sanity check for the valuation the DCF method and the DuPont Analysis was also applied. The additional value was added to the taxable income of Key End Es ... Read more
Germany vs US resident German taxpayer, October 2013, Supreme Tax Court, Case No IX R 25/12

Germany vs US resident German taxpayer, October 2013, Supreme Tax Court, Case No IX R 25/12

The Supreme Tax Court has held that the costs incurred by a taxpayer in connection with a tax treaty mutual agreement proceeding are not costs of earning the relevant income, but has left open a possible deduction as “unusual expenses”. A US resident realised a gain on the sale of a share in a GmbH. The German tax office sought to tax the gain, but the taxpayer objected on the grounds that it was taxable in the US under the double tax treaty. This tax office did not accept this objection, so a mutual agreement proceeding was initiated in an effort to clear the issue. Ultimately, the two competent authorities agreed to split the taxing right in the ratio 60:40 in favour of Germany. However, the taxpayer had incurred various consultancy and legal costs in the course of the process and these should, he claimed, be deducted from the taxable gain, as they would not have arisen without it. The tax ... Read more